Basically, all I have to say here is that I have SO MUCH LOVE for the Alison Glass Handcrafted fabric collection. I want it all. I want to make all the things with it. Unfortunately there are bills to be paid and mouths to feed and loved ones with expectations of holiday gifts and blah blah blah, so I resigned myself to only buying one print (so far, ha!)–Petal in Charcoal. Originally I planned to sew a long-sleeved tunic, but silly me, in my excitement during selecting and ordering the fabric I didn’t realized that this one is a double border print (pattern along the selvage sides and unpatterned in the middle). I stared at my pattern pieces for a good 20+ minutes trying to figure out a way to get the fabric patterns to line up across the bodice and sleeves in a way that was symmetrical and not too weird. I never figured it out and I got really sad for a few minutes and then it hit me, that this would make a great Ruby dress.
This quilting cotton was probably not the best choice for a Ruby, but I don’t even care. Even with it constantly riding up my hind end (thank you, extra-low humidity and friction-y tights), I don’t care. I just love the print. Last time I made a Ruby I lined the bodice so there was no need for bias trim for the armholes and neck. This time I used the trim, only turned it to the inside of the bodice and stitched it down. This would have been a super quick sew if not for the trim–I just might be the slowest person ever at pinning and sewing binding. I also didn’t realize that the fabric is double-sided and also printed on the selvage, so I skipped a step and didn’t bother to hem the dress. It turned out a little shorter than I intended so I don’t think I’ll be able to wear it without tights or leggings, but I’m ok with that. Most days of the year it’s cool enough where we live, and for my cold body, to wear leggings.
My last Ruby turned out a little tight across my shoulders so I decided to up the bodice to a large for this one. I’m much happier with the fit. Oh, and I added side seam pockets! It was my first time adding them to my own clothes, so I drafted a pattern based on what I had on hand–an Oliver + S playtime dress pattern! Again, probably not the best with quilting cotton, but I’ll take it. After sewing this up I had a long rectangle of the fabric left over and dang it, I just couldn’t help myself–I went and sewed Clementine a matching skirt. I made it a little on the loose side to ensure that it will still fit this summer. I forgot to get a picture of it so I’ll have to try to remember at some point while she is wearing it. Oh, and I finished all the seams with my serger! That really brought me some joy :-)
Make sure to check out a little about the inspiration for and story behind creating this fabric, found here. Cool stuff!